Non-Profit Associations & Corporations
Greene & Roberts LLP offers its clients expertise in the area of nonprofit corporations and organizations law, representing clients in the formation and organization of tax-exempt California corporations and other organizations. The Firm also regularly counsels these clients regarding day-to-day operational issues such as contract matters, employment issues, land use and real estate matters, and routine matters unique to nonprofit organizations, including:
- The formation of California non-profit corporations and other non-profit organizations.
- Organizing and conducting board meetings, maintaining corporate records, auditing compliance with corporate formalities, and the preparation of corporate documents.
- Providing general advice on compliance with federal tax rules and regulations applying to tax-exempt organizations, including issues relating to the filing of annual information returns, oversight of group exemption status for larger affiliated charitable organizations, lobbying activities, and issues related to transactions involving possible private benefit.
- Counseling non-profit corporations and organizations on matters pertaining to public contracting, public-private partnerships, and "charitable choice" programs.
- Providing risk management services and designing asset protection plans to protect nonprofit corporations and organizations from exposure to liabilities and unanticipated loss of revenues, and assessing insurance needs regarding officer and director indemnification and limitation of liability to protect the individuals who manage and direct the organization.
- Contract negotiations for leases, property acquisitions and construction.
- The negotiation and implementation of service contracts and management agreements.
- Providing legal advice to boards of directors of non-profit corporations and foundations.
- Providing counsel to entities serving quasi-governmental functions.
- Assisting in the implementation and operation of private foundations in accordance with the special tax rules applicable to such organizations.
- Counseling non-profit organizations regarding all aspects of state and federal employment law, including the defense of wage claims, employment discrimination claims, and other regulatory employment matters and related litigation.