Writs and Appeals
Greene & Roberts LLP offers its clients rich and wide-ranging experience in appellate matters in state and federal courts both in California and throughout the nation. Having represented clients in cases in the Supreme Court of California, the Supreme Court of the United States, the California Court of Appeal, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the Firm has the expertise to optimally position cases for appellate review and to obtain positive outcomes. This experience and expertise includes familiarity with navigating clients' cases through the arcane world of extraordinary writ practice.
The Firm can assist clients in any appellate-related matter, ranging from quick consultations to full-blown merits briefing and oral argument. The appellate services offered by the Firm include the following in both the state and federal court systems:
- Counseling clients and co-counsel about the likelihood of success in pursuing or defending against an appeal and developing offensive and defensive appellate litigation strategies.
- Filing the notice of appeal and preparing and lodging the appellate record.
- Preparing and filing the opening, answering, and reply briefs on the merits.
- Conducting oral argument and assisting co-counsel in preparing for argument.
- Preparing, filing, briefing, and arguing extraordinary writ petitions.
- Preparing and filing petitions for review in the California Supreme Court, petitions for writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court, and briefs in opposition thereto.
- Preparing and filing friend-of-the-court ("amicus curiae") briefs on the merits or in support of petitions for review or certiorari.
- Offering clients advice with regard to litigating appeals and writs against State and local agencies.